Thursday, February 16, 2006

Beghrir - Moroccan Pancakes

In Tafraoute, the landscape is miraculous with strange rock formations like pink Henry Moore sculptures and a swathes of yellow flowers that turn dazzling in the sun. The almond trees were in blossom - ghostly white, and snow capped the mountain tops. Tafraoute has fewer tourists than it should, and it certainly was a highlight of the trip.

The breads in general were excellent, the best we have tasted so far, as were the breakfast pancakes called Beghrir. Both are made with semolina and maybe its the water there or the mountains - in any case how simple and wonderful. The pancakes in the morning served with honey and accompanied by a cafe au lait, the bread after a hike in the hills...

I will post a recipe when I get home and try it out myself. I bought a Moroccan dessert cookbook in French and so it will take a little work!

I am back at the coast now and the sunset was glorious. Two weeks is not a lot to spend in this country. I recommend it very highly, and it was a bargain (€379 including flights from Shannon and accomodation in Agadir though Sunway, which is so cheap that you don't skipping out of town and making your own way around).

I will miss Morocco!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I see you got hooked with the moroccan food!! it is not unusual. My self I am moroccan and I love berghir YUM.... I live in USA but you got me now to try here; I will make it tomorrow !! will let you know how it turns out!!! see ya

3:29 a.m.  
Blogger Kieran said...

Definitely hooked! I would be delighted if you have a good recipe. I tried it once or twice since, but I haven't made anything nearly as good as what I ate there...

12:23 p.m.  
Anonymous RUTH said...

You are awesome!! the passion u have 4 food is great! I cantstop thinking and talking about you and your web site! It really made me think about starting my own small business, I also have a passion for great food pasteries and ice creamare two of my favorits Iam going to start with your lavender honey ice cream then your moroccan pancakes then last but not least your tirimisu!!! ALOHA RUTH HILO HAWAII

11:21 p.m.  
Blogger Kieran said...

Thanks, Ruth!

Please note that my new blog address is: http://icecreamireland.com

There's lots more there!

5:29 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home